Thursday 31 December 2015

(C+++) - From My English Country Garden - A letter from Builder Michael - The pleasure of giving!

FOR AUDIO - VISUAL CLICK HERE

From My English Country Garden
A letter from Builder Michael




Once again, it was Christmas! And, this Christmas, just like last Christmas, and all the other Christmases before, was spent going mad trying to decide what to buy for everyone else – and everyone else was going crazy trying to decide what to buy for me! It's a funny life. But, let's just stop for a moment and think.

Christmas is the time of year for giving, and, only two weeks ago, whilst enjoying my third generous whisky of the evening, the telephone rang. It was a friend of mine's wife, and she was calling from their home in the middle of Scotland. And, she desperately needed my help and advice.

Her problem was her husband's Christmas present! What could she possibly purchase for someone who had everything and more?

And, this was the point. What is the point of buying something for someone who has all that he wants and all that he needs? My friend's wife was not in need of a shopping list, but in need of a reminder of the meaning of giving.

Giving, I explained, is a two way street. And, the pleasure, as I believe it, is more in the giving than in the receiving.

And, therefore, in order to create the maximum of pleasure for one's partner, it is better to allow them to give – rather than receive. And, this rule, by-the-way, can be applied to everyone else as well.

My friend's wife was listening carefully, and her question, being a sensible one, came as quite a
surprise. If she were to allow her husband to have all the fun – what fun would she have if all the fun was in the giving – and not in the receiving?

Receiving, I then told her, is just as much fun as giving, because, whilst receiving, one is giving the person who has just given just as much pleasure as receiving, if not even more!

My friend's wife, I believe, was convinced. But, there was still one very small problem. She still didn't know what to buy for her husband.

If giving is twice as much fun as receiving, then, in order for her to have a nice Christmas, she, too, would have to give. And, then, if she didn't like the idea of receiving, then her husband (my old friend) would be robbed of the pleasure of giving, and, if by receiving, one would be giving great pleasure to the person who had just given, then she, too, would want that as well!

And, so it was. My friend's wife decided to continue the ritual of giving her husband (my old friend) a pair of red socks and a shirt – and – of course – and in advance – a list of all the very nice things that would make her a very happy woman. After all, as she reminded me, the fun is the giving – and, all she was doing was giving her husband great happiness and the chance for lots and lots of great Christmas fun!

See you next time – Yours, Builder Michael!




.

Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...