Sunday 18 February 2018

(B) - Valentine's Day -

Please click here for full page - 




Valentine's Day – Stones and Champagne and Flowers and Cards!

February the 14th is Valentine's Day. People send flowers, go out for candle-light meals, drink Champaign by the bucket, and generally try to be nice. But, the best tradition of all is the British tradition of Valentine's cards. This is not only exciting, but good fun as well.

Valentine's cards are anonymous. No one knows who they're from. And, the fun is the guessing from whom. And, if you're one of the many who sends Valentine's cards, it's the annual hoping that the person you sent the card to will actually guess it's from you - and – all being well - fall for you, too. This never happened to me!

And, Valentine's cards are romantically arty. Most come with pictures of red hearts and roses and say “I love you!” - or - “I can't live without you!”. All very silly. But, the two Valentine's cards that I received many years ago were exactly the opposite.

On the front of the first card were pictures of rats, slugs, cockroaches, and snakes. And, when I opened the card, the message was simple and straight to the point. “Just thinking of you” were the words that were written.

The second card, probably from the very same girl, wasn't much different. On the front of the card were the wonderful words, “If I had 10 pounds for every time I thought of you . . .” I then opened the card and read on. I got a surprise. Instead of, “I would be the richest woman on earth”, were the words, “I would think of you more often”.

And, these were the only Valentine's cards I ever received. I sent many, but my luck was never returned. So, who was St. Valentine? I did some research. He was stoned to death (that's why they made him a saint) for what he invented. St. Valentine invented marriage! A reason to stone him to death? Well, that's up to you.

February the 14th is Valentine's Day. People send flowers and go out for candle-light meals. And, that's it for another 12 months. The story of love is no easy road, and it had a hard stony end for poor Valentine.

Valentine's Day – Stones and Champagne and Flowers and Cards! 





Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...