Sunday 15 July 2018

(B) Birds of a Feather - Old Farmer Linney and a A Small Pinch of Salt

Please CLICK HERE for full AUDIO/VISUAL text -  
Picture - Old Farmer Linney's Farm House - by Nigel A JAMES




Birds of a Feather

Saying wise things is something old farmers know how to do. And, old farmer Linney was one of the best. And, the story he told me one early spring morning is something I've never forgotten.

I was walking to work when I met him. Old farmer Linney was taking a rest on his stick. The result of a very bad stroke. His moving was still very much impaired. He wanted to smile, but his disfigured face wouldn't allow it. His eyes, however, had lost none of their spirit. Old farmer Linney, I knew, was happy to see me.

Then, leaning on a gate, old farmer Linney used his stick to point at a tree which was not far away. The crows were busy with their nests. Old farmer Linney told me the coming winter was going to be hard. Very much snow and freezing cold temperatures. Possibly, the hardest on record. The crows were building their nests low down in the tree. A very bad sign. We spoke a while longer, then, as I went on my way down the lane, I looked back. Old farmer Linney was still there where I'd left him. Was he gathering strength or waiting for someone else to come by? Old farmer Linney was a man who loved not only chatting, but company, too.

There were not many people out drinking that night. The pub was almost empty and the conversation was slow. Then, I thought of old farmer Linney, the birds, the nests, and the weather to come. And, wanting to show-off and sound clever, I repeated old farmer Linney's words as if they were mine. Everyone listened. Then, everyone laughed. They were all farmers.

Didn't I know that crows use the very same nests year after year? And, not even crows can forecast good or bad weather. And, in any case, the year had barely begun. Then, I laughed as well.

I had been taken in by old farmer Linney. His eyes were not smiling for nothing, and, I wondered what his next story was going to be. Talking to old farmer Linney was always good fun. He had very much to tell and I enjoyed listening. All that was needed was a small pinch of salt.

Birds of a feather do indeed flock together.

Birds of a feather. John Linney and an early spring meeting.








Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...