Sunday 26 August 2018

(B) - Birds of a Feather - A true summer story!

Please click here for full audio/visual page.

Picture - Birds of a Feather - Pencil drawing by Nigel A JAMES

Birds of a Feather!




It was a very hot day in Vienna.  I was sitting in the shade of a secluded corner in the park of Schönbrunn when a woman came into view. And, she wasn’t alone.  She was being followed by an entourage of crows which was wobblingly walking behind her.   And, as she passed by, I told her she seemed to be a very popular woman.  She smiled and said it was lunch time, and that she daren’t come to the park without a bag full of nuts. Crows, she explained, love nuts more than anything else. Then, this unusual procession carried on round the corner.  I was once again on my own; but, not for too long.

In fact, it took just a minute or two.  One by one the crows started returning the way they had come; but, now in full flight, and each with a nut in his beak. It was a wonderful sight. And, then came the woman again.  She told me she had been coming to the park for more than ten years and had rarely missed a day.  Birds, for her, were a source of great joy. And, this I fully understood.  Watching the birds had given me great pleasure, too.  

And, all this great pleasure was thanks to a very hot day, the shade of a wonderful park, and the unexpected appearance of a  little old lady.  My wait in the heat had been worth every minute.  And, I, too, went happily on!
                                                                                                  
Vocabulary
appearance – Erscheinung - megjelenés - ilmestys -
crow - Krähe -  varjú - varis
daren’t (dare not) - nicht trauen -  nem merem - En usko
entourage - Gefolge  - kíséret - säestys
expected – erwartet - várható -  odotettu
feathered – gefedert - rugózott - jousitettu
joy rugózott -  öröm - ilo
nuts - Nüsse - dió  - saksanpähkinä
procession – Umzug - díszszemle - paraati
rarely - selten -ritkán - harvoin
secluded - abgelegen - elvonult - eristäytynyt
shade - Schatten - árnyék -  varjo
source - Quelle - forrás - lähde
unexpected –  unnerwartet  - váratlanul - yllättäen
wobblingly - wackelig -  ingatag - hutera




Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...