Tuesday 1 March 2016

(C++) - From My English Country Garden - A letter from Builder Michael

For full AUDIO/VISUAL page - please click HERE

From my English Country Garden – A letter from Builder Michael



Being the most intelligent person in the world is something I enjoy! So, you can imagine how surprised I was when I met someone who is possibly even more intelligent than I am! And, it happened last week.

I was talking to a certain Mrs. Kastner of Vienna. And, she was explaining that the United States of America is not the United States of America at all. According to Mrs. Kastner, its real name should be The United States of West Bachio! But, why?

In the 16th century, a certain Herr Bachio, a native of Ottakring - a suburb of Vienna - set out to sail round the world. And, without even knowing it, he did in fact land in what is now known as the United States of America. And, he was, without realizing it, the very first European ever to set foot on American soil. But, he thought he had landed in Ireland.

And, because he couldn't find Dublin, he turned round and set out for home. And, it was only whilst describing the Irish as having darkish reddish skin, and all wearing feathers in their hats and all living in tents which he called wig wams, did Herr Bachio realize that he hadn't been in Ireland at all! So, what did the clever people of Ottakring think of all this?

The problem was that America hadn't been discovered at the time. If it had of been, Herr Bachio would have known where he was. So, why did he think he was in Ireland. It turned out that not even Mrs. Kastner knew. But, I did!

Instead of having sailed west, he had gone east. And, as everyone knows, the first place one comes to (if you exclude China, India, Japan, etc.) is America. Or, was it that Herr Bachio was unable to read maps? I doubt it. Herr Bachio was one of Austria's greatest map makers. The truth was that he was in India , that's why Red Indians are called Indians, and that's why he couldn't find Dublin. And, even I learn something new everyday!


Yours, BM









Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...