Thursday 15 June 2017

(-C) - From My English Country Garden - A letter from Builder Michael - He knows the meaning of time - it's all very simple!

Click here for full page - audio following-

From My English Country Garden
A letter from Builder Michael




Today – so far – has been much the same as yesterday, and, yesterday - just like today I became another day older – and -tomorrow – I will be older than today. And, looking the other way round -yesterday, I was one day younger than today, and, at the same time - one week older than one week ago. Time hits us all in this way or that way. And then, whilst thinking of the comings and goings of time, my telephone rang.

It was a lady I've known for a very long time. And, she was calling from Ireland. And, the reason for her call was her search. She was looking for the answer to the question of time. And, her husband, a good friend of mine, suggested that I was the only person on earth who could answer this question. And, he was right!

The answer to my good friend's wife's question was, after some serious thinking, really quite simple. Time is based upon our understanding of the movement of years, and, this understanding has all to do with the comparisons in time from when we were born to where we are now and where we were in-between, and, of course, the differences in age between us and everyone else. All very simple.

As an example, we can take little Johnny. When Johnny was born, his brother Paul was 5 – meaning - Johnny was 5 years younger than Paul. But, when Paul reached the age of 10, Johnny, who was then 5, was twice as young as Paul, and Johnny had doubled his age. This is quite logical – and my friend's wife got the point straight-away.

And, the next point was just as easy as well. To be double the age of somebody else is not the same as being double the age that you are. But, doubling one's age is something one can do all the time. But, being twice as old as somebody else is only a question of timing.

If, say, you're 40 years old, you can say you're twice as old as you were 20 years ago, and, that 6 years ago you were twice as old as you were when just 17. And, at this point, I noticed something unusual. My friend's wife was beginning to think – and this - for her - is really unusual. She had discovered that the difference between old and young is in reality no difference at all.

Her husband, my very good friend, is, in reality, 30 years older than she is – which means that 20 years ago he was already 40 whilst she only 10. And, that in 30 years time, he will be 90 and she only 60 - and that she will have to live for another 30 years in order to double the age she is now in order to become half as old as he – provided, of course, that he lives to 120!


But, as we all know, we are as old as we are – and – that's how it is. But, the chances of my friend's wife doubling her age are extremely high, whereas his are out of the question. But, is this true? 10 years ago he was 50 – and – the double of 50 is 100. It all depends from where one is starting. So – why not try it yourself? Half your age and then double it again – and – you, too will have doubled your age! See you next month – Yours Builder Michael


Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...