Sunday 24 May 2020

(B) - My Little Nut Tree


 



Trees are wonders of nature. There is something about them that everyone loves. And, I have a tree in my life. It's a nut tree. It arrived one year in July. Still very small. And, as I planted this little nut tree, I thought of its chances. The summer was hot and still getting hotter, and, all around, plants were wilting and dying. The Hungarian sun was simply too strong.

But, not everything dies. Weeds are the perfect example. And, I started watering my tree.  And, little by little, this little nut tree began to get bigger and bigger. I was sure we had won. But, at the end of the summer,  this little nut tree was still very small. Too small, I believed,  to survive until spring.

April arrived and back to my garden I went. And, the first thing I did was to look for my tree. But, something had happened. My little nut tee had become even smaller! The little nut tree had been eaten by pigs. All that was left was a thin naked stem. I was sure my little nut tree was dead! Then, three or four days later a small shoot appeared. Then came another and another, and soon there were seven or eight little shoots. My nut tree was strong, it had little leaves. Its chances were good!

And, the next winter it was eaten again! And, again it survived. And, again, it came back to life. That was eight years ago. And, now my little nut tree isn't little any more. It is two metres high and impressive. But, it still has a long way to go. Nut trees grow very high and can live for sixty-five years.

Trees have a great strength. My little nut tree  survived two very hard winters and was twice eaten alive. Trees are wonders of nature. There is something about them that everyone loves and admires. And, now, my very little nut tree has grown into a very big nut tree. Its nuts are delicious and its shadow is great. My little nut tree.  It  came long ago.


Vocabulary
another – noch ein
appear – (appear/appeared/appeared) – erscheine
believe – (believe/believed/believed) – glauben
daily – täglich
impressive – beeindruckend
leaves pl. von leaf - Blatt/Blätter
once - einmal
plant – (plant/planted/planted) - einsetzen / pflanzen
shoot – Trieb
simply – einfach
soon – bald
stem – Stiel
sure – sicher
survive – (survive/survived/survived) – überleben
twice – zwei Mal
water (to water/watered/watered) – gießen (to water the plants)
weeds – Unkraut
wilting – (wilt/wilted/wilted) – verwelken

Blog – Nut tree essay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...