Tuesday 16 October 2012

Poem for October


Vacant!  By Nigel A JAMES


Stephen Spender

Although this poem by Stephen Spenser has no title, it is, without any doubt at all, one of the finest works of social commentary that has ever been written.

Moving through the silent crowd
Who stand behind dull cigarettes
Those men who idle in the road,
I have the sense of falling light.

They lounge at corners of the street
And greet friends with a shrug of shoulder
And turn their empty pockets out,
The cynical gestures of the poor.

Now they’ve no work, like better men
Who sit at desks and take much pay
They sleep long nights and rise at ten
To watch the hours that drain away.

I’m jealous of the weeping hours
They stare through with such hungry eyes.
I’m haunted by these images,
I’m haunted by their emptiness.


Welcome to Diarikom

I have been writing the Diaikom since 2009.  Regular short stories, interviews, essays, recordings and more. All taken from life.  I have me...